May 6, 2012

It's Hip to be (Granny) Square

If you look at the top of the page, you might notice that the subheading for this humble blog contains the word "crafts."  You might also notice that this blog isn't terrible crafty; indeed, the last time I wrote anything about craft things was back in February.  This isn't necessarily because I'm not a crafty lady—I have lots of ideas, though a certain Pannekuchen G. Guhlers (shown below being "helpful") does complicate the execution phase of any crafty endeavor.


However, our trip back east meant that I got to be around cats for whom yarn is not the functional equivalent of high-grade heroin, and so I could actually crochet without having to stop every few stitches to retrieve the yarn from a twitchy kitten.

Here's what I have so far.


Yes, it's granny square season here in PHX, and might I just say that I'm terribly pleased with myself for not having lost any of them during my transcontinental flight.  The end goal for all these bits and bobs is a blanket for a certain granny I know who's had a rough go of things lately.  Fortunately, like many grannies, she is not good with computers (or any technology beyond the touchtone phone, which she only begrudgingly owns because there were no rotary telephones at the store the day she needed to buy one), so there's not much danger of the jig going irreversibly up by posting here.

I'm using this granny square pattern, though the actual final configuration of said squares is still TBD.  I'm not really thinking beyond the current round when I'm plotting this out, which hopefully will not be my undoing when I near the finish line and only then discover that I am short on not-insignificant amounts of yarn/squares/time/sanity. 

I do, however, really like the piecemeal quality of making blankets this way.  I generally prefer some level of instant gratification in most things that I do, which makes large-scale projects like blankets difficult for me to stick with if I have a hard time seeing any quantifiable progress.  While the ever-increasing number of squares is starting to get daunting, the system I've been using means that I can easily see where I'm at, how far I have to go, and how far I've come; the simplicity of the squares and the ease with which they come together also does a lot to make me feel super productive from a minimal amount of work.  I mean, look at all these squares!


That's a tower of fiber you can be proud of, right?  Never mind that it's only a fraction of the squares that I need, and this isn't even the longest round.  Making my way through this project has been a lot like pondering our cat:  appearance is everything and first impressions are positive, but if you start to think about it too much, there's really not much there.  Low expectations all around!

I've also been stepping out of my comfort zone, colorwise, on this one.


I recognize that perhaps this yarn stash isn't all that impressive, but coming from someone whose favorite color is grey (a point that The Husband finds endlessly mockable), this is progress.  Also, my grandmother has specifically requested that anything made for her be in the "old lady" style, which suggested to me that neon sparkly yarn was out.  I'm not completely sure what "old lady" necessarily entails, but I like to think that I've found an acceptable elderlyish balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment