November 23, 2010

IN A PICKLE OF A JAM.

I am not sure why it is considered a bad thing to be in a jam.  I can understand why one would not want to be in a pickle, given the connotations of cannibalism and whatnot, but jam?  Jam is sweet and tasty and good on toast and scones.  Yes, it is sticky and a bit messy and viscous, but that's never killed anyone (oh wait, yes it has).  Though jelly is suspect, as it's just so...unnatural.  Fruit is not smooth and shiny, people.  It is seedy and pulpy and complicated; let's keep it that way.

Anyway, idioms and jellyrants aside, I have gotten it into my head that maybe I should be canning things.  After reading through a few different canning/preserving books, I came to the conclusion that the general attitude towards canning is:  OH MY GOD IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THESE RECIPES EXACTLY YOU WILL CONTRACT BOTULISM AND DIE A SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH ALONE AND FULL OF BITTER RECRIMINATION OH AND YOU'RE UGLY TOO.  Nevermind that each book has different recipes for the exact same things – there can be only one.  That won't kill you.

So I said bupkus to all that and decided to forge my own path into this Brave New World of food in jars.  I also decided to forgo a stop at Long-Term Canning Corners and instead get off this I-guess-my-metaphor-is-a-train-now at Just Put It In A Jar Junction.  There are two reasons for this:  (1) I am lazy, and (B) it isn't like I need more things to put into my already overstuffed pantry.

To start off on my quest (wait – quest?  I need to work on keeping these metaphors straight...) to the land of food self-sufficiency, a friend and I staged a little canning party (even though nothing was officially canned).  We each brought two recipes to the table:  I planned on making dilly beans and pomegranate jam, and she would do apple butter and ginger beer.

(Ed. note: While writing this post, I was suddenly seized by the need for scones, which are now in the oven.   And now we return you to your regularly scheduled blog post.)

Dilly beans, for the uninitiated, are green beans that have been pickled like your standard dill cucumber pickle, plus lots of garlic.  They seemed like a nice beginner's pickle, mostly because green beans, unlike all but the babiest of cucumbers, fit easily into a regular pint jar, and neither of us were keen on buying several large jars for a single project.  Also, cucumber pickles, at least some of them, require fermentation to reach peak flavor, whereas dilly beans just need to sit overnight in the brine.

To start, top and tail some nice green beans, then pack them into jars (somewhat snugly), along with garlic, dill, and black peppercorns (it is easiest to put in the garlic and dill first, or at least in-between batches of beans).  Just pour over some boiling brine (about two parts vinegar to one part water, with sugar and salt added – BUT READ THE BOOK OR ELSE THE BEANS WILL GIVE YOU DROPSY OR SOMETHING).  The book also said that the beans needed to be processed via boiling to tenderize them, as they were cold-pack vegetables.  This is a lie, as boiling beans, even if they are in jars, for 15 minutes will clearly overcook them.

I. AM. A. HUMAN. BEAN.
The pomegranate jam was a trickier customer, and not only because they are tedious to de-seed.

Pictured: an hour's worth of seed removal.
Pomegranates are also low in pectin, which is the fiber in fruits that makes a jam set into a jiggly pseudosolid.  Because we weren't adding any additional pectin to the pomegranates, we would have to cook the pomegranates long enough for the sugars (both in the fruit and added to the mix) to do the work instead (if you've ever made fudge or candy, you'll understand; if you haven't, that's a shame because it's a lot of fun).  I got the recipe from here, but since I wasn't spending the money for five pounds of poms, I used pomegranate juice instead.

I can't comment directly on making ginger beer or apple butter, because I was caught up in my own food problems.  However, I did learn the following:
  • Apples will dry out if you bake them in the oven
  • Peeling and pureeing 2 lbs. of ginger is tedious and noisy
  • Wringing the juice out of 2 lbs. of ginger will make your hands tingly
  • Dry apples do not work well in a food processor
  • Tasting ginger beer that only has half the recommended sugar will make your face hurt
In the end, this is what we had:

at least it's pretty.
I cracked open my jar of dilly beans today, and I'm really pleased.  It has a nice crunch, and a good bite from the all the dill.  The pom jam, sadly, did not set, even though the plate test told me it would.  However, it makes a tasty pom sauce, which will potentially be used in an ice cream at some point in the near future.  The ginger beer, once it was corrected for sugar and you add a little club soda and mint, was tasty, though super gingery – it's good, but only in small doses (though if you have clogged sinuses, it will clear them good and fast).  I still haven't had a reason to use the apple butter yet, so I cannot give a review; perhaps its creator reads this blog and will comment?  (Oh, and the large jar in the middle is spiced brandy.  It takes a couple of weeks to mull.)

Overall, I'd say I came out 1.75-for-two on my part of the grand experiment – I'm quite happy with the dilly beans, and the pom jam just needs to set to be a total success.

Oh, but I am not done yet!

Remember the shameful bronze of my Dairy Olympics competition-with-myself?  I am what you might call a sore loser, so armed with more cream, I tried it again, this time using the proper technique of letting it sit on low heat for hours upon hours upon hours.

Success (mostly)!

There is really no way to make this look very appetizing, I apologize.
This is what two cups of cream looks like after sitting on a low burner for seven hours.  The wrinkly yellow skin is called the clout, and need to be removed (that's what I'm doing in the photo, and you can sort of see the fork peeling off a bit).  The thick stuff immediately underneath the clout is the clotted cream; under that is regular cream (though not full-fat, because most of that differentiated out into the clotted variety).  I say that this version is a qualified success because, while the clotted cream definitely coagulated out, the pan I used was too wide, which made the cream shallow and complicated separating the clotted cream from the thinner cream.  It all tastes good, but I wasn't able to skim just the clotted cream off the top; some of the regular cream got in with the clotted when I was spooning it out, so the whole thing is much thinner than it should be (proper clotted cream should be spreadable like butter).  It's really quite tasty spooned onto a scone with some pom jamsauce (though it is very messy, since all the toppings have the propensity to dribble off the scone). 

This might explain why I felt the need to make more scones at 9:30pm.

While on my pickling kick, I also wrangled up some pickled onions and peppers, which I enjoyed on a grilled cheese sandwich today.  I used red onions and yellow hot peppers, and the kick that both give off (though the onion only when raw) is tempered by the pickling process.

peter piper picked a peck of picked peppers and onions and liberty cabbage.
The large purple jar is red cabbage I am trying to transform into sauerkraut (the sour cream cup is just filled with water and is being used to keep the cabbage submerged).  Traditional sauerkraut is just sliced cabbage and salt; the salt draws out the cabbage's moisture, then mixes in to make the brine.  Sauerkraut is actually a made by lactic acid fermentation, in which various lactobacteria, which are naturally present on cabbage leaves, ferment the sugars into lactic acid, which both provides the sour taste and preserves the cabbage.  Once it has stopped bubbling, it should be all set; it takes about two weeks for sauerkraut to fully ferment, so here's hoping my wait will not be in vain (it also gives me some time to finish up the sauerkraut in my fridge).

IMPORTANT-TYPE ANNOUNCEMENTS!
In my constant attempts to keep this blog fresh and new, as well as trying to come up with a gimmick that will finally net me that book deal, I am hoping to start a few new series that will maybe get me to post a bit more frequently and help me maintain some focus so that not every post is a me prattling on? 

The first will be titled, "Hooray for Capitalism," where I will take you, the reader, along to some of my favorite food-related stores (as food-based shopping is my second-favorite kind of shopping) in the PHX and its environs.  The second, "Around the World in 80 Dishes," will feature me attempting to make vegetarian foods from all around the globe; I'm also trying to get The Husband to contribute suggestions for good music from each place to listen to while cooking and/or eating.  Hell, while I'm at it, I may even go back and tag and label some of my previous posts, in an attempt to maybe make sense of this place.  Who knows?  The possibilities are ENDLESS, except that they really aren't, as while the potential for the human mind may be infinite (though I doubt that it is), human life and our current levels of understanding are very much definite and bounded, which keeps our possibilities within defined limits.

So let's just say that the possibilities are MANY to keep us all from an existential crisis.

(Also, if you have any comments or suggestions of things you'd like to see here, let me know and I'll maybe take them under advisement.)

7 comments:

  1. I like "Hooray for Capitalism" a lot. I would like you to find me a live octopus in an asian supermarket and then have a spin-off blog called "Octopus('s) Life". An octopus in the desert! How zany!! And then when it dies after 6 months you can eat it guiltlessly.

    I think "...80 dishes" seems like, well, A LOT of dishes. That's a 1-2 year project. The internet has ruined my attention span and that just seems like too many. I would go with 37 dishes, because that seems like a number that would confuse me, and confusions keep my internet-age attention span more easily. And if at the end of 37 dishes you still want to keep up the project, you can begin part II, which will be 43 dishes. 43 is another number that confuses me. You wonder where a number like that is going: 44? or 21? Deep thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree that 80 dishes is a lot. but it's literary! but you raise a good point.

    if it gets to be too much, i'll just change the name to "around the world in square-root-of-negative-one dishes," and then i can just use my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all know I love capitalism. I also love technology, and am going to go off right now and subscribe to this so I stop missing posts and commenting long after you were interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, katelyn, if you truly love capitalism, you should probably come on another grocery store adventure with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love capitalism, but I love YOU even more and thus refuse to aid you in any attempt to break the "eat through the freezer" rule.

    But when you get back from India, yes, let's go be happy capitalist grocery shoppers.

    Also, I can't figure out how to subscribe to the actual blog, just the comments. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i meant grocery adventuring next year; i am not as weak-willed re: groceries as you might think (though i am close).

    as for subscribing, i think maybe you just click "follow" up on the top of the page? but i don't know exactly how it works, since i just use google reader for all my blog-reading need(ing)s.

    ReplyDelete