April 4, 2011

Around the World in 80 Dishes - An Introduction

If you actually visit the site to read this humble blog, you may have noticed something a little different, perhaps even new and exciting, happening.  (For those of you who read this via Google Reader or some other blaggregator, you should go to the site and look at it; I did not futz around with the widget creator for over an hour so that you could just ignore my hard work.)

I will wait.

(Did you look yet?)

Ok, ta-da!  My new (and overly ambitious) blog conceit, Around the World in 80 Dishes, is up and running!  Or, at least, the filing system is.  16 regions x 5 dishes = 80 magical meals.  Hopefully seeing all those little headings along the side will inspire me to get cooking, now that I have a public shaming system in place where everyone can see my progress (or lack thereof).  I am aiming to add a post or two per week to the tally, but that is highly dependent on a number of variables; however, given our previous experience with said variables, that's looking like a pretty manageable goal.  My plan is to make each post something more than just ingredients and recipes, to also explore the region and culture and cuisine as a whole.  Ideally, each region will get its own mini-introduction, which will talk about the food and flavors, as well as give an idea of what to expect from the dishes themselves. 

The regions are fairly arbitrarily determined:  I essentially broke each continent down into manageable chunks, trying to keep regions united based on my preconceived notions of geography, culture, and cuisine.  I could be totally wrong on some of these; only time will tell.  Each region will be represented by five dishes, which I am hoping to make as diverse as possible.  The only real outlier here is the British Isles, which I included because I am a huge Anglo-/Scotsophile, and have no problem with all five dishes being varieties of scone or whisky tastings.

Also, in an attempt to make this as much of a family affair as possible (without any hateration or holleration in this dancerie), The Husband has been placed in charge of selecting good music to accompany the preparation and/or consumption of each dish.  I hope he remembers that we discussed this way back when and reading this paragraph doesn't surprise him too much.

Also, does anyone know if there are any Scandinavian dishes that do not include jellied, fermented fish?  Seriously.  I'm a little scared of that one.

1 comment:

  1. For Scandinavia, I suggest a Swedish dish -- Tunnbrödsrulle. It's very refined -- a hot dog, mashed potato, lettuce, sauce and maybe even some rockfish, all wrapped up in a pita. Here's a picture: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nggx-53C46exo79XjOoHcw

    ReplyDelete