February 12, 2012

Productivity and Other Resolutions

As part of that time-honored tradition of hurling yourself towards Self Improvement in celebration of yet another successful revolution of the Sun by the Earth, I too have resolved.  Specifically, I resolved to be more productive, which encompasses things like increasing my vegetable consumption and reading actual books again and maybe not spending so much dang time on the Internet randomly clicking links, how 'bout it?

Of course, as with most resolutions, I was really on top of this one for about two weeks, at which point I got sick and all of my energy and drive and wherewithal just sort of...dissolved.  Other things, like treatment and money and general, low-level fretting, took precedence, and I let myself get swept away by it all. 

Enter a much-needed vacation to Flagstaff, where I could lounge around by a fireplace drinking hot chocolate and eating brownies, where I could have adventures if I was feeling sprightly or just curl up under a blanket with a book if I was feeling hermitty.  Buoyed by a week of various sorts of energizing relaxation, I feel ready to take on the world.  Or at least ready to write the world a strongly worded letter informing it of my intentions to take it on.  Progress, either way.

So, here I am, poised at the edge of tomorrow with a happycat in my lap, resolve for resolutions in my heart, and too much chana dal in my stomach (many thanks to The Husband for that last one).  In this spirit of new years and renewal and life, allow me to present to you my wee bean:


Actually, there are two wee beans!  And several flowers that promise additional wee beans!  And none of the other plants have died yet!  And all the beets and carrots and onions have sprouted, but the seeds seem to have migrated to the side of the planter, so they'll probably end up all misshapen but WHATEVER, things are growing!  Mysteries of life and all that.

While in Flag, I also got the chance to get cracking on some new crafts, specifically double-ended crochet.  Thus far, I'm not sure there's much to it other than making variations on a rectangular theme, but more investigations are in order.  Just like I need to look into Tunisian crochet and knitting and kumihimo and needlefelting with wool and needlefelting WITH CAT FUR (and yes, I do have a bag of cat hair sitting around somewhere), as well as find our iron so I can start up on the lovely sashiko kits that my lovely friends at Sake Puppets sent me!

It'll be like NCIS: PHX in here: New Craft Investigation Service [in] Phoenix, that is! (Ba-doom tish.)

Yes, friends, I'm cooking up all sort of crafty shenanigans, and productivity is on the menu.  Along with beans and murder.

Also, I've made things!  Actual finished projects that I can see and touch and feel superior about, until I remember the long list of things I haven't made and am promptly shamed back into humility.

Project the first was a blanket, a gift that was only 3.5 months late.  Originally, it was to be a surprise "hooray you survived your 10-hour surgery" present for The Husband, but it's oddly difficult to work on a surprise gift when you're sitting next to the recipient, in a hospital, for 12 hours a day.  Or when you live together and your apartment isn't very big and certain Husbands keep conveniently "forgetting" that I'm Secret Crafting and no you can't come out here I DON'T CARE IF YOU NEED TO USE THE BATHROOM YOU SHOULD HAVE GONE EARLIER.  As usual, the yarn-addled cat was super helpful.


"Blanket" may be a bit optimistic, given the wonky dimensions (blast you, too-small hook), but after much anger and injured fingers from rage blocking, it's become an acceptable lapghan.  Also, go Buckeyes, O–H–I–O, we are terribly unconcerned with the state of Michigan in its entirety, something something etc.


Project number two was also for The Husband, because I am kind and benevolent like that.


It's a hammerhead shark.  Feasting upon a head.  You know how they do.

Although I think the eyes make it look downright sluggy, I'm generally pleased.  Not sure how many bright orange sharks are out there, but evolution is a magical thing, and while I don't quite see the need for an orange shark, given that the ocean is not orange and the whole part of predator coloration is to blend in with the surroundings, far it be for me to say that sharks can't be orange if they so wish.  I, for one, would not argue with sharks, as they have been around far longer than I and are also possessed of many rows of teeth.

Des(s)ert Life: Livin' every week like it's Shark Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment