January 22, 2012

It's Alive!

I've been lazy on the cooking front, what with my first cold of 2012 knocking me out of commission for several days and The Husband's bi-weekly pump-induced Bed Rest keeping me busy, but there have been some exciting developments on the vegetable front.

We have seedlings!


Yes, things are actually growing!  The lettuces are peeking out, as are the tiny wild rocket sprouts next to them.


The pepper cress has officially gone doolally, which meant I was able to harvest some to add to my scrambled eggs and toast this morning.  I felt so pioneering!


The interior beans are holding strong; I just have to figure out how to train them to climb up the fake trellis I constructed out of cooling racks and picture wire.


The tomatoes are also making a strong showing.  I'm still not sure how I'm going to manage these post-transplantation, but I'll cross that tasty bridge (we're on a bridge, Charlie!) when I get there.  First, though, I have to keep the cat from eating them.  He's already beheaded at least one tomato sproutling (along with a bean stalk).  We contemplated getting him some cat grass, but we don't really want to encourage him to throw up all over the place (even more so than usual).


After much fretting and ruining of heating pads, the some of the peppers have finally woken up, too.


Overall, this little experiment in self-sufficiency is progressing nicely.  The cooking greens (cavolo nero, Swiss chard, kale) have all finally sprouted, as have the beets and peas and rat-tail radishes (the vines of which can apparently grow to several feet tall, so that is requires some frantic, not-yet-figured-out modifications). 

I'm also growing some potatoes in an old trash can.  It actually appears to maybe be working, against all sense of reason and propriety. 

Well, something is growing in there.  Let's hope it's just potatoes.

And not Cthulhu.

No comments:

Post a Comment